This great cardigan pattern is a design signed by Andrea Yetman! The Grandfather cardigan is a timeless classic that will never go out of style!
It has been a desire of mine for some time to design and knit this style of a cardigan and with a little help from Hedwig, Harry Potter’s owl, I was finally able to take my vision and knit it up!
How did I knit exactly what I had pictured in my mind? I don’t know…Maybe there was a little magic in my knitting needles 🦉
- Cascade Yarns Eco [100% Peruvian wool; 250 g - 441 m / 482 yds] - Color shown 8401 - 2 (3, 3, 3, 4, 4) skeins.
- Main Fabric: 6mm (US#10) – Circular needles of at least 22 inches (55 cm) for body and DPN’s. (Or size needed to obtain gauge)
- Ribbing: 5.5mm (US#9) Circular needles of at least 22 inches (55 cm) for body, 14 inches; 35.5 cm and 37 inches (93 cm) for Shawl Collar and DPN’s.
- Stitch holder or scrap yarn
- Stitch markers
- Tapestry needle
- 5 buttons – 2 small for Hedwig’s eyes and 3 larger for the button band.
- Cable needle
XS (S, M, L, XL, XXL)
Hedwig is a Grandfather style cardigan knit seamlessly from the top down. The 2x2 ribbed cuffs and hem are worked using 2 strands of yarn for a bulky effect. Stitches are picked up and knit in Garter Stitch around the front of the cardigan at the end, as well as Short Rows to raise the back neck of the collar. A Patch Pocket is added after the cardigan is knit with an adorable cabled owl. To see a tutorial on how to add a Patch Pocket, click HERE.
Your Owl is perfect :)
I’m about halfway through, but this beautiful cardigan is fast and easy. The pattern is straightforward and easy to follow. Good for all levels.
I have not had a chance to knit this item yet, but I read through the pattern and it appears to be very easy to follow. I am going to make this for my granddaughter who loves Harry Potter. I know she is going to love it.❤️
Can't wait to knit this.
I haven’t made this yet, but it looks really nice ….